College for Kids presents (the new) Y.E.S. Academy!
CFK allowed for my daughter to experience a situation that would not normally be available to her so I found it to be refreshing! It turned out to be a great experience and she tells me she really enjoyed it. It motivated her and that is a positive. Thank you!
Y.E.S. (Youth Excellence and Success) Academy provides summer options to families to enroll their student(s) into College for Kids (CFK Classic) and/or into STEAM courses. Courses take place on the Southwestern College Chula Vista campus (900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910) and provides students with a new and unique experience into a college atmosphere. Courses focus on students and their abilities to learn, grow, and build upon their excellence and success through a variety of courses fit for everyone. We are excited to introduce the Y.E.S. Academy Program to the community during summer 2019, and to deliver motivating and engaging courses for all students entering 4th-10th grade!
CFK Classic - CFK Classic provides challenging and enriching experiences for students entering 4th-10th grade who are gifted and talented, hold a 2.8 or B average, or are recommended into the program by a teacher, coach, counselor, or other adult (non-related) who knows the student well. Courses in CFK Classic provide a traditional, yet fun approach in providing curriculum that you might see offered on a college campus. Through engaging teaching methods, instructors design and implement curriculum to students while creating a classroom environment that teachers both independent and group learning.
STEAM Courses - STEAM courses provide unique opportunities for all students entering 4th-10 grade involving Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math. During these workshops, students assume the role of space explorer, ocean engineer, computer scientist, and more as they immerse themselves in hands-on projects. The courses also incorporate real-life stories of vibrant women conducting research in each field. Their examples inspire students and help make STEAM careers more accessible for all.
A list of courses will be available in Winter 2019 and online registration will open in early Spring 2019! Follow us on Facebook to stay up-to-date or email SWCCollege4Kids@swccd.edu to be added to our interest list.
CFK Classic offers two 2-week sessions that run Monday-Thursday. Tentative 2019 dates are:
- Session I: Monday, June 10 – Thursday, June 20, 2019 / 12:45-4:00 pm
- Session II: Monday, July 1 – Thursday, July 11, 2019 (no program July 4) / 12:45-4:30 pm
CFK Classic students need to be entering 4th-10th grade, and must meet one of the following:
- Be a returning College for Kids student. Returning students do not need to provide proof of eligibility, unless notified.
- Have been identified gifted and talented (GATE). GATE students do not need to provide proof of eligibility, unless notified.
- Have a B or a 2.8 average or higher in academic course work and acceptable citizenship grades. Report cards must be uploaded during the online registration process.
- Be recommended into the program by a teacher, coach, counselor, or other adult (non-related) who knows the student well. Recommendation forms can be obtained here or by emailing SWCCollege4Kids@swccd.edu. Forms must be uploaded during the online registration process.
CFK Classic course costs will be available soon.
STEAM courses offer four 1-week sessions that run Monday-Thursday. Tentative 2019 dates are:
- Week 1: June 10-13, 2019 / 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Week 2: June 17-20, 2019 / 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Week 3: July 1-3, 2019 (no program July 4) / 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Week 4: July 8-11, 2019 / 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
STEAM course students need to be entering 4th-10th grade, with no additional eligibility requirements.
STEAM course costs will be available soon.
Y.E.S. Academy offers a limited amount of scholarships to eligible families. If interested in applying for a scholarship, please complete and submit the Y.E.S. Academy Scholarship Application. The deadline to apply will be available soon.
A review of our policies, parking information, and more can be found here.